Thursday, February 7, 2008

Obama 08?

Well I really felt like posting about something we watched in English today. Now I am a republican and with my upbringing I really don't there was any way I was gonna become anything else but that, however Barak Obama concerns me regardless of my party affiliation.

As a young person on a college campus I can say first hand pretty assuredly that quite a few young people support Obama. I see Clinton getting the old school democrat vote with Obama getting the young ones, but not only young democrats, quite a few young republicans that are not as well connected with their party's platform as the older one, seem to have taken in the belief that Bush has done a most detestable job as a president, now I'm not saying he compares to Washington or even Lincoln, but still I feel sometimes that he is getting a bad rap just because he had the gumption to become more agressive in our foreign policy.

Quite a few young republicans seem to be liking Barak Obama a bit much. If he wins the democratic nominee, he very well could be the next president. (I can't believe I said that, but that's my gut feeling, and growing up around politics I feel that I can tell an extremely effective campaign from just an effective one.)

But what I wanted to share was a link to this music video made by some musician guy...he is supporting Obama, obviously, but the interesting thing that caught my eye that I was not expecting...the token "deaf" person. I don't know if the woman is deaf for sure, but she does sign what was being spoken in the song. When we watched it in class I was not expecting it, so I was only focusing on the words of the song, but as soon as I saw her hands move I focused. Yes that part only last for a couple seconds. But it was interesting how they threw that in...kind like "Oh, I think I'll try to get some deaf vote by having some one sign in my music video!" I'm just a little bit cynical of politicians who try to use those types of ploys. And Mom, if you notice Si Se Puede is repeated a few times in the song as well. (I think that's supposed to be Yes We Can in Spanish?)

Well watch it and tell me what you think, and I'm sorry to the deaf people out there the whole song does not have captions of any kind, but there are some graphics through out the video and I guess they get the main idea across...
Here's the link...

No comments: