Sunday, September 2, 2007

Work-Study

I thought of a nice topic to discuss...the lovely world of work-study. Which the title in of itself is quite deceiving. or at least for the "work-study" I am involved with...there is only work, with maybe if you are lucky an minimal amount of study time permitted. But it's okay, I am working at the Library. Which is interesting because I was assigned the stacks E-G to "shelf read." For the uninitiated, shelf reading is the old art of perusing the shelves to remedy any irregularities. If a book is wrongly mis-shelved by a patron (who are not supposed to shelf any books in the first place...) it is the shelf reader's job to find the pre-said irregularities and fix them. Sounds easy enough, but the first few days of work they did not even let me near a shelf, it is because we use the ever so difficult classification system of the Library of Congress. Which I might add the library at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary does not even stoop to use! humph...well now I am well versed in the Art of Classification via the Library of Congress, so I guess I can consider myself a well seasoned library worker. I am sure the librarians back home in Okolona will love me even more so, now that my skills have improved.
But back to my beloved stacks, my first experience with shelf reading was fine, however somewhat arduous. Why you may ask? Because the shelves E-G are the historical books. I found myself highly conflicted with a desire to read the very books I was supposed to be classifying! But I made it through, I am still alive, and even though I paused at various intriguing books I was eventually able to complete the task that was set before me.
For my mother's knowledge...I help close the Library Monday and Wednesday nights. Since it does not close until 11:00 I think it would be best for you to forgo any attempts of communication those particular nights.
Also a point of interest, I went to a "normal" church this morning. I really had to control myself to not sign. Though I did think of Bro. Milton this morning, when all those hearing people were sing How Great Thou Art all I could think of was Bro. Milton signing away...I greatly miss Louisville Baptist Deaf Church.

No comments: